Okay, I know that I’ve already shared plenty of thoughts on tomorrow’s announcement, but with just over 16 hours to go, I have a few more notes. I will be watching/following the announcement live tomorrow, which I have done with every event for the last 14 years. As I have mentioned before, it is like Christmas morning for me, and as my family knows, I am pretty giddy on Christmas morning.
On to my further musings, in no particular order:
- Tomorrow’s event will be big. The venue is much larger than the ones they usually use, and they have also constructed some top-secret White House-looking structure out front. There will be more than double the press in attendance than usual, including many top people from the fashion industry, which lends credibility to the ‘wearable’ rumors.
Aerial footage of mysterious white box at Apple’s ‘iPhone 6’ event site from AppleInsider on Vimeo.
- One thing I completely forgot about on the last post was the AppleTV. We are long overdue for an update and there has been a lot of talk of Apple changing the television game with this device. I personally don’t think they will mass release an actual TV, but could make some generous improvements to the current add-on box.
- I am sad to say that over the last few days there has been more and more info leaking about a 5.5″ iPhone. That being said, it is still a rumor, and I hope Apple doesn’t do it.
- There have been a few people talking about ‘water-proofing‘ of the iPhone 6. I think this is a great idea and many other phones have it. It just makes sense.
- The mobile payments rumors have been going crazy. It sounds as though Walgreens, CVS, Nordstroms and other major retailers might already be on board. Again, this could change how we pay for things forever.
- There are many other rumors out there, but nothing is for sure until we see it on stage.
After years of watching these announcements, let me remind you of how the cycle works around these things:
- Rumors, Rumors, Rumors
- People are upset because they knew everything ahead of time
- The press says Apple is doomed because of x, y, or z
- Lines form for release day (there have already been people lined up for a week at Apple Stores as we speak)
- Apple sells more than they ever have before
- People love the product
- A few iPhones have some minor problem and every one says Apple is doomed
- The rumors begin for next year (someday I will create a chart or write a book on how this process is tied to the 5 stages of grief)
Expect to hear plenty more from me tomorrow, and make sure to like the Facebook page for updates. Get excited!